Operation Waterfront Seattle

I don't think enough people are aware of how awesome the Seattle waterfront is going to be after the viaduct is torn down. Maybe we just don't want to get too excited now since it will open in 2019 if all goes according to plan.  I have my fingers crossed for "potential early projects" that would be designed and built starting this year.

The following are parts of the design I got genuinely excited about looking through the Design Summary by James Corner Field Operations, (the same firm that designed the Highline):

Alaskan Way will actually be a street again!  The whole waterfront will be so quiet and peaceful in its wake. 

Street sections with water have so much intrinsic potential.  I'm excited to see how the "Tidelines" are "translated tectonically into design elements".  If anyone can do it, James Corner can. See my post on Landscape Urbanism.
We will get some incredible new additions to the waterfront.  A Barge Pool?!? That's the best thing I've heard of after a hot tub cruise!
We will also have a beach in Pioneer Square! The last time there was an untouched (or reconstructed) beach here was in 1852 when the Yesler party landed at this spot. This is a great way to bring nature into the city if you ask me, and relatively safe (compare to dense urban forest in this post).
I can't wait to live in the new cool city that will be Seattle when we have a brand new interactive waterfront AND it was designed by James Corner Field Operations.

Comments