Welcome to Christiania


Sunrise moon from a Christiania rampart

When I was looking for somewhere to live in Copenhagen I kept telling people "I really want to live in Christiania." It was one of those times when I learned what I wanted by listening to the words coming out of my mouth - genuine but uncontemplated. I had only been to the downtown area of Christiania when I had been in Copenhagen last year and I didn't know anything about its organization but I had a hunch there was an quiet neighborhoods of free-spirited people in the rest of the settlement. 

While reading through the published work of my Scandinavian host I learned about the Christiania Researcher in Residence program. I went on a tour and applied as soon as I could. A week ago I had the pleasure of loading all my things into a Christiania bike borrowed from my host here and moving across town into the CRIR house - a modified wagon on a rampart in one of Christiania's quaint neighborhoods.

A good introduction to the place can be found on Christiania's website. I'm in the process of learning more about the community through interviews, but this excerpt from their website sets the tone for my investigation into how spaces of Christiania are created.
"Architect planning is absurd in relation to Christiania. Because the essence of Christiania is the unorganized and organized development, where the frames are filled after the users needs or sudden ideas."
So what is Christiania about? It seems a lot has to do with freedom which Risenga Manghezli explains in his TED Talk as "the freedom to express yourself, the freedom to be yourself and the freedom to take your time."



Risenga Manghezli gets at what I'm learning is the prevailing ideology of community-owned housing in general, but is especially strong in Christiania:

"You can't own this place; it belongs to everyone... The purpose of this place is not for us, the inhabitants, to be free, but to share that freedom with everyone."
Christiania has an unmistakable vibe you feel as soon as you enter the area. It isn't perfect but it's a place that is brave enough to live in a way that feels right to them. Having the opportunity to live here for a month, I am appreciating meeting locals and the peacefulness of living in a natural area - there are walking paths just outside my door. There is also a Christiania downtown, but here are a few photos of my experience of Christiania's quiet side in late November and December.

The Christiania Researcher in Residence (CRIR) house, an old wagon on top of the central heating system for the neighborhood (bags full of wood pellets).

Collaged information post "Birds of Christiania"

Morning on the moat, featuring the fugleliv

Comments